How to Organize Girly Things (Makeup, Hair Products, Jewelry, Etc.)
I fail. In my last post I gave you all of these fun ideas for home decor/improvements for the new year. But I totally forgot that I did some updates to our bedroom as well. I mostly updated the area where I keep all my makeup, jewelry, hair products, etc. It's been begging for a makeover for some time. I really didn't want to leave it out and I didn't mean to so that means I get to give you a whole post devoted to that. Here are some ideas to organize your girly things.
Mr. T and I have an insanely small bathroom with bad lighting, no storage (and very few creative ways to add storage), and a plug that doesn't work so I am pretty much forced to keep all of my makeup, nail stuff, hair stuff, etc. in our bedroom. I am technically used to it since it was this way when I had a roommate, but it is a little more difficult when you live with a dude. I don't want to make him trip over all of my products (and I really don't have that many). So I kind of have my own little corner in the room and that requires some organization. But because I'm that girl, I like things to also look nice and pretty. Here's how to organize makeup, jewelry, and hair products in a functional and stylish way.
1. I used to have my jewelry box on my dresser. It looked beautiful, but it didn't leave a lot of room for anything else. So I relocated it (see pic below). That made more room for makeup and hair products and cleaned out my top drawer for more room for headbands and other things. It also gave me more room to buy a bigger mirror. I originally had the turquoise one that you see below above my mirror. I love it, but I needed something bigger to see my huge head. I bought it at IKEA.
2. You might recognize this tray from this post. I thought it looked much better here and it gives me a nice way to keep things organized while looking pretty. I have all of my makeup, perfume/body sprays/smelly goods, and bobby pins on here. It's easily accessible and makes it easy to just kind of toss things when I'm done. It also gives me a nice place to put the jewelry that I take off at the end of the day. I actually bought this tray at a garage sale a few summers ago.
3. These are jars that were left over from the wedding. I am obsessed with putting things in jars so I originally had everything in just regular mason jars and then was using these as candles. But then I thought I should try these for all of my makeup. I love the way it looks an d it's still functional. I have all of my makeup, divided by bases, eye makeup (eye liner, mascara, etc.), and lipsticks. I also have my brushes. It looks neat and tidy and there is still plenty of room to add to. You can purchase the jars at any store and I also save them from things like pickles. I usually only save the mason jars, but you could use any if you like. I will also be talking about how to make these jars in a later post.
4. I don't know why, but I love having bobby pins and hair things in something that's easily accessible and where I can just toss them as I take them out. This little dish works perfectly for that. I actually bought it at the $1 store. I kid you not. I've used it for various things around the house like to put jewelry in and for office supplies, but this is my favorite use so far. I also love that all of my smelly goods are out where I can use them.
1. I love this stuff in the corner of the room because it doesn't seem to scream that half of my closet and belongings are hanging out in the bedroom. It's also really easy to get to.
2. I bought this thing years ago at a discount store. I used to use it for hair products and other things when I had a roommate. It's really great to store lots of things on. I actually think it's supposed to be a shower caddy, but I think it looks way better in a room. I turned it into a little nail polish center and now it houses all of my polishes, nail treatments, etc. It looks cute, but it also is a great space to keep my polishes easy to get to and organized.
3. You might also recognize this table from this post. Since I moved something else out to our bar that works much better I had to find a space for this table. This came in the bedroom really because there was no place else, but it's what allowed me to take my jewelry box off the dresser (and inspired many of these changes). I think it's pretty cute. I only wish it was round. Both the jewelry box and the table came from a vintage store (the box was a gift from my mom).
4. I love to hang scarves on a hook. If you have them on the back of the door they just get lost in everything. Plain hooks are really boring those. My sister bought me these a few years ago as a present (I believe they came from Urban Outfitters and not sure if they still have them) and I love them. They are functional and adorable which is my favorite thing.
5. As I mentioned, this mirror used to hang above my dresser. My sister bought me it as a present years ago and I believe it also came from Urban Outfitters. I love this mirror because it has hooks on it and you can hang so many things to keep them organized and then use the mirror to make sure you look good. But it's too small to do hair and makeup. It served me well when I had a roommate because I didn't have so much wall space in my room, but now I can spread out a little more. The mirror works perfectly on the side because I'm able to grab a necklace or scarf and check myself out. And it's also amazingly functional because there are lots of hooks and they are really strong.